Saturday, April 12, 2014

i witnessed something quite disturbing today... so what do we do in this type of situation?

today was gorgeous. it was in the upper seventies and we drove out to dc where all the cherry blossoms, dogwoods and magnolia trees were at peak bloom. it was like cotton candy trees everywhere and the entire town seemed to be out and about. but despite it being such a pretty day, i can't get a disturbing sight i saw today out of my head.

me, yangkyu and piri were stuck at a traffic light when i noticed a man walking his dog. a german shepherd. i am assuming this but i think the owner thought the dog was taking too long sniffing at the grass and he kicked his dog in the stomach. a very forceful kick. the dog immediately reacted by lunging at the owner, to which the owner yanked at the leash really hard to put the dog in its place. 

i screamed, "don't kick your dog!" but our car was already pulling away. i was so angry. seething. why own a dog if you're going to abuse it? but then i had another thought. why didn't anyone do anything to stop him? there were so many people out. and as our car was pulling further and further away i had yet another thought. why didn't i just tell yangkyu to stop the car so i could tell the guy that his dog is not his punching bag? all that time i was seething and being critical of the guy, i could've done something a bit more productive.

several years ago, yangkyu and i were on our way to a date. we were pretty excited because we haven't been on a date for a while because back then piri had separation anxiety and it was hard to leave the house. but we had a rare opportunity as piri was at his grooming session and we were looking to hang out for a few hours.

as we were driving down our local block we saw a bunch of people just standing around looking at something. when i looked closely, it was a raccoon that was clearly in pain. i made yangkyu stop the car and got out to ask people what was going on. they said the raccoon probably ate poison and was going to die soon. i couldn't believe these people were just watching this poor animal suffer in pain. some girls walked by and said "aww poor thing" and kept walking.

i didn't know what to do but i knew i didn't want to just stand there and feel sorry for the poor raccoon. instead of going on our date, we headed back home and after doing a little research i came across a listing of two women who lived just a town over who specialized in raccoons. i know. it seriously was a random hit and i was so thankful for the internet at that moment. i got in touch with them and they came within 20 minutes.

in the end, the raccoon was let go in a wooded area because giving it up to animal control surely meant immediate death by gassing {most likely}. the ladies said that it would be more humane for the raccoon to eventually "go" in its natural habitat. i cried so much that day and our date went down the drain, but in the end i was glad that there were people who took care of the raccoon putting it safely back in its natural space. after picking up piri that day we went out every couple of hours with some cut up pieces of apples and a bowl of water to see how the raccoon was doing. by our third stop the raccoon was gone. i secretly hoped that our apples magically healed him and he went on his way.

i hope this doesn't sound like i'm humble bragging. i guess what i'm trying to say is that everyone has the ability to act in a certain situation {and not just an animal situation - literally any situation}. it doesn't have to always be heroic, but even a simple phone call can change a course of a bad situation. it's easier to be critical at someone or to just say "aww poor thing" and walk away. the harder thing to do is actually doing something about it. 

27 comments:

  1. That's awful! I felt like this just yesterday. My friend and I got off the metro and were walking to our car when we saw some random guy just taking a leak right out in the open. He smiled at us as we passed by but neither of us said anything. Thinking back about it, I don't know why we acted like WE were the embarrassed ones when in fact, we should've yelled at him for being so indecent. I guess these situations always catch us so off guard that we're not sure how to react immediately. Although, those peoplejust watching a raccoon suffer probably had more than enough time to think about what to do than just watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think that is true. i'm always like that as well. i tend to process things a little slower and collect my thoughts before saying something.. sometimes it feels like i've already missed the boat to even say anything later. so horrible about the guy at the metro. ugh.

      Delete
  2. Ah I love this post, have you ever seen the show "what would you do". Ben and I went through a stage of watching them on youtube and it really brought to mind how many times I haven't acted on something and should have. Ben is pretty amazing at stopping for every animal and it's really made me step up my own game. There is this other thing called the bystander effect where if there are many people around an incident people are less likely to react. We're pretty interesting us humans but we definitely don't always make the right decision, myself very much included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have totally seen "what would you do" - it's really amazing how some people have reacted to certain situations. ben sounds like such a great guy. and the bystander effect is so interesting. i would think that if more people are around then people would be more courageous. interesting!

      Delete
  3. It's people like you that make the world a better place, Jane. It's sooooo sad to witness something like you did, and I agree...it's so easy for us just to walk away and not do anything:( Unfortunately, our society has become soo lackadaisical that this is almost the norm....
    Good for you for doing something about the raccoon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks emmy. there were plenty of situations where i could've done something but didn't. for some reason on saturday it made me think about choices.. choices that everyone has and what we decide can change the fate of something or somebody.

      Delete
  4. That is indeed awful! I really don't get why people take a dog or a cat if they don't want to or can't (afford to) look after it!
    It's hard to stand up I think, you might get yourself in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's true. i think a lot of folks have fear or worry whether they'll be causing a bigger problem. it's tricky.

      Delete
  5. This is terrible. Seriously. I do not like people. He will get what he deserves down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Jane. you have a heart of gold. I am so thankful to have met you through our blogs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to have met you too, juni. :)

      Delete
  7. I would have totally got out of my car and gave that jerk a piece of my mind! I might even consider calling animal control on him.

    I say that now, but who knows what I'd actually do if put in that position. I'm sure everything happened way too fast.

    That guy should not have a dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously. i don't understand why he even owns a dog. i also met a dog owner years ago who said his dog wasn't aggressive enough. it totally disgusted me.

      Delete
  8. Good for you!


    I witnessed something similar a couple of years ago, oddly enough with a german shepard. The lady yelled at her dog for coming to see my dogs (why wasn't be leashed??) and then saw how scared I was & yelled at her THREE year old for not holding on to the dog. She then smacked the dog, I was very close to saying something to her (I am not at all outspoken) but you just never know with people & how they react..had I been walking with my husband I would have definitely said something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh. how horrible! i'm not outspoken either but sometimes i act in a way that even surprises myself :) and i agree. i think if there is some sort of safety or "someone to have your back" it's safer and easier to be bolder.

      Delete
  9. We do have the ability to react and do something in every situation, sometimes I think fear can prevent us from doing something in certain cases. Because you read about people being attacked trying to help others, so it causes others to be a bit timid in trig to help. But, even if you don't go straight up to the person, reporting them to someone is always a must. Because otherwise it will just keep happening. But, sadly many turn a blind eye not only to animals being abused, but to people as well, which is worse in a way because we ourselves are humans and should care for each other. But, it's good that you shouted and helped the raccoon as well. That was marvellous. Happy Monday doll xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree. i think fear holds me back too. it's a tricky thing .. these choices we have and what we decide to do in a certain situation.

      Delete
  10. I definitely can relate to you Jane. It is an awful feeling when you witness something and know you have an ability to help or change the situation but didn't do it. It makes me feel extremely guilty. It happened to me a few times and I am learning to be braver and come forward. I think most people who choose not to do anything have their own reasons like 1) it is not my business - this one is a bad excuse 2) fear for their own safety. However that should not be an excuse. If no one takes an action, this world would become a heartless place to live. Happy to read how you did to help a poor raccoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think that's exactly it. i keep telling myself "if i really want to help that person/animal i can". if i say i can't because of a certain reason, it's really an excuse in the end.. because if i really want to get something done i can. but certain situations make it hard..

      Delete
  11. I don't understand why people do that! Why do they even own a dog? I hate abuse of any kind (people, animals etc). I would've hollered out the window too. You take a stand Jane. I can appreciate that. I respect you. More people should, when they see things. How would that man like someone to kick him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's such an awful thing to take out frustrations on someone that is smaller than you, right? i hope he'll learn his lesson...

      Delete
  12. I totally understand how you felt when you saw that horrible
    man kicking his dog :c I hate animal cruelity, I just can't stand
    itttt. There's one word popping in my head: why. Why are you
    being so cruel to animals, when animals especially dogs are
    so loyal. It brings tears to my eyes really.

    That being said, I don't know what I'd done if I witness this
    situation. I'd probably stop and stare and give the man a real
    dirty evil look. And I have to be honest, as much as I want to
    take action, it's really hard to take action: is the man violent?
    Afterall it's none of my business :c I guess I have no balls like
    you Jane ha :P
    And the raccoon story is super sad :c
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a kind heart. There have been several times where I've run into instances like this and I won't ever forget the time I ran after a puppy on a crowded road in rush hour to scoop him up and take him home for the night until the SPCA opened the next morning. I'm such a sucker for animals :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This world could certainly do with my kind souls like you. I get very angry too when I see animals not treated right. A few years ago, Stu and I rescued a baby lorikeet (Aussie native parrot) and brought it home and fed it fruits. It was so cute but wasn't able to fly. We brought it to the vet thinking it was the right thing to do. And have no idea what happened to it. I was told most likely he would be euthanized. It was a really sad day for the both of us too and on hindsight I wish I had just kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful and well written. I am always really affected by animals in pain, I can't stand it. We adopted a kitten that we found stuck in a torn bush on the side of the road. I have even tried to adopt a baby squirrel that fell out of the nest but my roommates said no haha. It's not bragging or boastful to talk about what you did for that raccoon, but you definitely should be proud of yourself for being so kind...it's what everyone should desire to do, it's not that hard to just care about animals a little. Especially when they're helpless and hurting...it breaks my heart to think about their instinctual fear in such circumstances :[

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so right, and I think every single person who reads this will think twice next time they're in a situation where we have a choice to change things.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete